Men's Lacrosse Dropped by Drexel, 15-9

Men's Lacrosse Dropped by Drexel, 15-9

Philadelphia, Pa. (March 19, 2011)-The Mount St. Mary's men's lacrosse team lost at Drexel, 15-9, on Saturday in a non-conference matchup at Vidas Field. Cody Lehrer paced the Mountaineers with four goals in the loss.

Drexel (4-3) scored nine consecutive goals in the first half to break the game open en route to the six-goal victory.

The Mount (2-3) started the game quickly, taking a 2-1 advantage in the opening six minutes on a pair of Lehrer goals. Lehrer opened the scoring 2:50 into the game when he converted an Andrew Scalley pass. After Drexel's Robert Church tied the game, Lehrer converted a feed from Christian Kellett for a 2-1 Mount lead.

The Dragons evened the score on a Kyle Bergman goal with 5:34 left in the opening quarter and then took the lead with a pair of extra-man goals on an unreleasable Mount penalty. Nick Trizano and Church both found the back of the cage in the final 1:26 of the half to give the Dragons a 4-2 lead.

Drexel then scored the first six goals of the second quarter to take control of the game. Scott Perri scored the first and last goal of the run while Brendan Glynn, Dan Layfield, Ben McIntosh and Church also had scores in the streak. Lehrer ended Drexel's nine-goal run with his third goal of the game with 51 seconds left in the half.

Church and Bergman scored to give Drexel a 12-3 lead midway through the third quarter before Bryant Schmidt was able to beak Drexel goalkeeper Mark Manos to cut the deficit to 12-4 heading into the final quarter.

The Mountaineers scored five times in the final quarter, but it was not enough to overcome Drexel's advantage. Mark Burns, Brett Schmidt, Bryant Schmidt, Lehrer and Eric Ososki provided the Mount's goals in the final quarter.

Lehrer's four-goal game gives the junior a team-high 12 goals on the season. He has scored 10 goals over the past two games for the Mountaineers. Bryant Schmidt finished with two goals and an assist while twin brother Brett had a goal and two assists in the loss. Scalley's assist in the first quarter stretched his streak of consecutive games with a point to 22.

Mount St. Mary's returns to action on Tuesday with a 3:00 p.m. game a VMI.