Mount St. Mary's Men's Soccer Rallies Past Winthrop in Wild 4-3 Season Opener

Mount St. Mary's Men's Soccer Rallies Past Winthrop in Wild 4-3 Season Opener

Emmitsburg, Md. (September 1, 2019)—The Mount St. Mary's men's soccer team rallied for a thrilling 4-3 win over Winthrop in the season opener on Sunday afternoon at Waldron Family Stadium.  Trailing 3-2, the Mount scored twice in a span 37 seconds late in the second half to earn the high-scoring victory.

Trailing 3-2 with less than 10 minutes remaining, the Mount was able to rally for the win.  The Mount drew a free kick deep in Winthrop's territory to set up the first goal.  Freshman Juan Molina came through by burying the free kick from a sharp angle to the upper right-hand part of the goal to even the score at 3-3 with 7:13 remaining.

The Mount (1-0-0) struck quickly for the go-ahead goal.  Yann Kouemi put a shot on goal that Winthrop keep Aidan McCormick made the save.  The rebound went high in the air, and the Mount's Fela Osifeso was fouled in the box going for the rebound.

Senior Boris Nana Tonzi then stepped in and calmly converted the penalty kick by slotting the ball on the ground to the lower right corner of the goal to put the Mount ahead, 4-3, with 6:36 on the clock.  Winthrop had one last chance to even the score, but saw Andrew Carvajal sent a shot from outside the box just over the cross bar with 50 seconds left.

The Eagles (1-1-0) grabbed the early lead with a score just 3:55 into the game.  Jonathan Foster touched a rebound off a Jordan Walshaw shot past Mount keeper Andrew Chwalik to give Winthrop the lead.

The Mount answered with a pair of goals to take a 2-1 lead at the half.  On the first goal, Miguel Lucero sent a pass to Kouemi on the left side of the box.  Kouemi took a touch and was able to beat Winthrop goalkeeper Chandler Gaunce with a shot to the lower right of the net to tie the score.  The Mount took the lead in the 27th minute when McKenzie Ali headed home a Lucero corner kick to a 2-1 advantage.

Winthrop came out strong in the second half and evened the score on a Jogvan Jacobsen blast just under five minutes into the second half.  The Eagles took the lead in the 75th minute taking advantage of a corner kick opportunity.  Walshaw found Marc Carreras open at the top of the box, and his shot deflected off a Mount defender into the bottom right of the goal for a 3-2 Winthrop lead.

Mount St. Mary's held a 19-to-16 advantage in shots in the game, including a 9-to-8 edge in shots on goal.  The Mount had six corner kick opportunities to five for Winthrop.  Molina, Kouemi, Nana Tanzi and Ali each scored in the win while Lucero had a pair of assists.  Walshaw had a pair of assist for Winthrop in addition to goal scorers Foster, Jacobsen and Carreras.

Chwalik made five saves to earn the win in goal for the Mount.  Gaunce made one save for Winthrop in the first half while McCormick had four saves in the second.

Mount St. Mary's is back in action on Friday, September 6, with a 7:00 p.m. matchup at Bucknell.