opening tip... Saturday's game between Mount St. Mary's and Navy marks the 27th meeting in the all-time series dating back to the 1977-78 season.
• The Mount leads the series 18-8, including a 9-1 mark in Emmitsburg.
• The Mount ended a two-game losing streak in the series with a 52-45 decision last year in Annapolis.
• The Midshipmen's last win in the series was a 63-46 decision in 2010.
about the midshipmen... Navy comes into the game 6-4 after defeating William & Mary 69-64 on Tuesday.
• Sophomore G Chloe Stapleton posted 20 points in her 2012-13 debut against the Tribe for the Midshipmen. Stapleton averaged 3.5 points and 1.5 rebounds last season.
• Junior F Jade Geif tallied 15 points and 10 rebounds on Tuesday. The junior registered 19 points and 11 rebounds in a 57-48 win against East Carolina on Nov. 30. Geif leads the team with 12.7 points and 8.2 rebounds per game.
• Junior G Alix Membreno added 13 points against the Tribe. Membreno scored 18 points in the victory against East Carolina. The junior ranks second on the squad with 12.3 points and 6.3 rebounds per game.
• Junior G Kara Pollinger chipped in 10 points against the Tribe. The junior recorded 13 points in a 72-60 win against Loyola on Nov. 20. Pollinger is third on the team with 12.1 points and 2.6 rebounds per game.
last time we met... Ashley Christie keyed a 16-6 run in the opening eight minutes with nine points to help Mount St. Mary's to a 52-45 on Nov. 26, 2012. Christie finished the game with 16 points. Jessie Kaufman registered her third double-digit performance of the season with 12 points while Sydney Henderson stuffed the stat sheet with eight points, six rebounds, six assists and four steals in the winning effort. Kara Pollinger paced the Midshipmen with 16 points in the loss.
quick hits on the umes game... Redshirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer converted two free throws with 38 seconds left to lift Mount St. Mary's past UMES 62-58 on Wednesday.
• Brewer, making her first start in a Mount uniform, posted eight points along with career highs in rebounds (5), assists (5) and steals (3).
• Senior Selina Mann paced the Mount with 20 points, nine rebounds, five assists and three steals against the Lady Hawks. It was the senior's second 20-point performance of her career and the first since tallying a career-high 26 points against San Jose State on Dec. 29, 2010. Mann moved into fifth place on the program's all-time career steal list with 271 and eighth place for career assists with 340. She can move up a spot in steals with eight thefts.
• Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson notched her second career double-double with 13 points and a career-best 12 rebounds against UMES. It was the redshirt junior's third career double-digit rebound performance. Henderson is averaging 17.8 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in her last five contests.
• Junior Jessie Kaufman also found double figures on Wednesday after finishing the game with 10 points. Kaufman has registered double digits in three out of her last four games and is averaging 12.0 points per game in that stretch.
• Junior Kayla Grossett came off the bench to add nine points and six rebounds against the Lady Hawks. Grossett has posted nine points or more three times this season, including a season-best 17 points in the season opener against Maryland on Nov. 9.
guard up... Mount St. Mary's has been led by its guard play on the boards for the last two seasons.
• Senior Selina Mann paced the Mount with 5.0 rebounds per game last season and is second on the team in caroms with 6.0 rebounds per game this season.
• Redshirt junior Sydey Henderson leads the team with 7.0 rebounds per game and has grabbed at least seven rebounds four times this season.
• The duo has combined for six double-doubles in their career and are the only players on the roster to notch the trick.
• The last time a forward had a double-double on the team was Mary Dunn (18 points, 12 rebounds) against Saint Francis (Pa.) on Jan. 10, 2011.
next on tap... The Mount travels to Seton Hall on Dec. 16 and Pittsburgh on Dec. 20 for a two-game Big East swing,
• After the road trip, the squad will conclude the non-conference slate at home against American (Dec. 30) and Lehigh (Jan. 2).
• The Mount opens Northeast Conference play at home against Fairleigh Dickinson and Monmouth in the first weekend of January.
• After playing four of its first five at home, the Mountaineers are in the midst of six of their next eight at Knott Arena.
on the scoring front... Mount St. Mary's is averaging 53.7 points per game on offense this season.
• Under head coach Bryan Whitten the Mount averages 52.8 points per game in the games that end the calendar year, but once the New Year hits the team is averaging 60.9 points per game.
• The squad has been held to under 60 points 93 times in the last six seasons and 46 of those contests have come in non-conference play.
• Conversely, the Mount has posted 60 or more 60 times under Whitten and only 14 of those were in non-conference play.
at the knott... The Mount is 1-1 this season at Knott Arena.
• The squad has posted a pair of 20-point performances this season at home after junior Jessie Kaufman registered 24 points against Campbell on Nov. 19 and senior Selina Mann notched 20 points against UMES on Dec. 5. Kaufman is averaging 17.0 points and 6.0 rebounds per game while Mann boasts 12.0 points 7.0 rebounds per game at home this season.
• Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson is almost averaging a double-double at home with 9.5 points and 9.5 rebounds per game through the first two games in Emmitsburg.
• The Mount is averaging 55.0 points per game and shooting 34.0 percent from the field at home while allowing 56.0 points per game and 35.7 percent to the opponent in Emmitsburg.
looking to a lead at the break... Mount St. Mary's has not gone into the locker room with the lead this season.
• In the first six games, the opponent has led at the break. The squad rallied from a 39-31 deficit to at the intermission to defeat Rider 70-67.
• The Mount ended the first half tied with UMES at 31 and went on to win 62-58 on Dec. 5.
• The squad trailed by six points or more in the first five games of the season.
• Mount St. Mary's is 39-16 when it leads at halftime, 13-77 when it trails at the break and 4-3 when the teams go into the locker room tied.
the board story... Mount St. Mary's is 2-0 this season when it has the advantage in rebounds and has lost all four games this season when the opponent has held the edge.
• The Mount is 24-19 when it holds the advantage off the glass, but 30-73 when the opponents have more rebounds and 2-5 when the teams end tied in boards.
conference honors for henderson... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson was named the Northeast Conference Choice Hotels Co-Player of the Week for the week of Nov. 12-18. It is the redshirt junior's first conference honor.
• Henderson posted a career-high 30 points and scored the game-winning basket with 42 seconds left to lift the Mount past Rider 70-67 on Nov. 16. The redshirt junior shot 9-for-15 from the floor, 6 of 8 from behind the arc and 6 of 7 from the foul line for her 30 points. She stuffed the stat sheet by adding eight rebounds, four steals and three assists in 40 minutes on her way to career highs in points, field goals, 3-point field goals, free throws, steals and minutes played. Henderson scored nine of the Mount's final 16 points to help the Mountaineers to their first win of the season.
• It marks the 19th time a Mount player has been named the NEC Player of the Week dating back to the 1997-98 season and the first time since Gauthier earned the honor for the final week of the 2009 regular season.
first to 30 for henderson... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson notched her first career 30-point performance against Rider on Nov. 16.
• It was the third time under head coach Bryan Whitten a Mount player has posted 30 points in a game. The squad is 3-0 when a player hits 30 points in a contest.
• Henderson became the first Mount player to post 30 points in a game since current assistant coach Brianna Gauthier scored 32 points against Bryant on Mar. 2, 2009. It was also the first time a Mount player scored 30 points on the road since Dominique Mazzuchi had 30 points against Central Connecticut State on Jan. 12, 2008.
• It also marked the first 30-point performance in non-conference play since Myriam Baccouche had 36 points against Radford on Nov. 21, 2003.
• It is the 29th time in Mount Division I history a Mount player scored 30 points in a game and the 13th different player to accomplish the feat.
count it, one, two, THREE... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson is 12-for-37 this season from behind the arc. The redshirt junior went 6-for-8 from 3-point land against Rider on Nov. 16. It marked the second time in her career that Henderson has connected on six 3's in a game after also hitting the mark against Monmouth on the road last season. It is the eighth most made in a single game in program history.
• Junior Jessie Kaufman is 10-for-28 from behind the arc.
• Henderson and Kaufman are a combined 21-for-65 while the rest of the team is 8-for-49 from 3-point land.
• Junior Ashley Christie, currently out with a foot injury, was 35-for-103 last season from behind the arc.
• The Mount made a single-season program-record 192 treys last season. Henderson hit a team-high 51 from behind the arc, which ranks ninth on the single-season chart in team history.
a career night... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson posted a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16. She established a new career best 10 months to the day after she had a career-high 25 points against Central Connecticut State last season.
• Sophomore Jenn Carney scored a career-high eight points against Campbell on Nov. 16.
preseason poll… The Mount St. Mary's women's basketball team has been picked seventh in the Northeast Conference (NEC) Preseason Coaches Poll. Quinnipiac picked up seven of the 12 first-place votes to be tabbed as the preseason favorite. The defending NEC regular season and tournament champions Sacred Heart Pioneers nabbed four first-place votes to finish second in the poll while Monmouth secured the final first-place nod to finish third in the poll. Saint Francis (Pa.), Robert Morris, LIU Brooklyn, the Mount, Central Connecticut State, Bryant, Fairleigh Dickinson, St. Francis Brooklyn and Wagner round out the 12-team poll. Bryant, who just completed its five-year transition to Division I, will be eligible for the NEC Tournament for the first time in 2012-13.
in the non-conference slate... Mount St. Mary's is 81-125 in non-conference games since joining the Northeast Conference in 1989-90.
aye, aye captain… Senior Selina Mann, redshirt junior Sydney Henderson and junior Ashley Christie have been named team captains for the 2012-13 season.
• Mann was also a team captain last season.
man oh mann, selina... Mount St. Mary's can pretty much count on getting five from senior Selina Mann every game. The only question is will it be five points, five rebounds, five assists or five steals?
• Mann has posted a five spot in one of those categories in 71 of the 90 games.
• The senior has posted a five spot in two of those categories 23 times; 12 times in three categories and eight times in four different categories.
• She has scored five points 48 times in her career, including 18 two-digit performances and a pair of 20-point performances.
• The 5-4 guard has posted five rebounds 34 times in her career, including four 10-board performances.
• Mann has dished out five assists 31 times in her career including a career-high 10 assists against Wagner on Feb. 11, 2012.
• The senior has registered five steals in a game 18 times in her career, including establishing a new program record with 11 steals against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 18, 2012.
• Mann leads the team with four double-doubles. She has two points-rebounds tricks, one points-steals and one rebounds-assists double-double. She is only the third player in Mount Division I history with a double-double that includes steals. The junior recorded 10 points and 10 rebounds against American on Nov. 18.
• The senior is only the second player in team history to record a 10 spot in points, rebounds, assists or steals in a game in her career. Kim Rhock is the only other player to accomplish this feat.
mann making a move in the record book… Senior Selina Mann is making a move in the Mount's career record book.
• The senior ranks fifth in career steals with 271 thefts. She needs eight steals to move into fourth place on the all-time list.
• Mann has moved up two spots since the start of the season in assists and now sits in eighth place with 340 helpers. She can jump to seventh with 23 helpers.
• She will also have a chance to break the Top-10 in career games played. She comes into the contest with 90 games played and needs 13 games played to crack the Top-10.
sydney on the rise and not down under... Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson has scored double figures in 19 of her last 34 games.
• Henderson is averaging 14.0 points per game in that stretch and has registered 18 points or more eight times in that span.
• She has three 20-point games and a 30-point performance in that stretch.
• Henderson posted a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16.
• The redshirt junior has two career double-doubles, including 13 points and 12 rebounds against UMES on Dec. 5. She now has three 10+ rebounds games to her credit.
• Henderson has posted double figures 26 times in her career, including three 20-point performances and one 30-point game.
no cough for kaufman... Junior Jessie Kaufman has started the last 15 of the last 16 games and is averaging 11.7 points per game in that stretch.
• Kaufman registered at least nine points in 12 of those games, including 10 double-digit performances in that stretch.
• Kaufman notched a career-high 25 points against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb 18, 2012.
• She has posted double figures 17 times in her career, including two 20-point performances.
fresh start... Redshirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer played her first game since Mar. 17, 2011 when she took the floor against Maryland on Nov. 9.
• The redshirt sophomore posted eight points, five rebounds, five assists and three steals in her first Mount start against UMES on Dec. 5.
• Brewer, who sat out last season due to NCAA transfer regulations after playing at Virginia Commonwealth as a freshman, posted double figures in four of her first nine games with the Rams, including a career-best 14 points against Virginia Tech on Nov. 21, 2010.
• The redshirt sophomore was named to the Colonial Athletic Association All-Rookie team in 2010-11.
all-conference returning… Senior Selina Mann was named to the All-Northeast Conference second team as a junior.
• Mann paced the Mount in rebounding (4.9 rpg.), assists (139) and steals (114) while averaging 6.0 points per game.
• In league play, she ranked second in steals (3.93 spg.), third in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.60), fourth in assists (4.79 apg.), 10th in minute played (32.72) and 12th in free throw percentage (.761) in the NEC. In addition, Mann ranks third in the nation in steals.
in the league... The Mount is 256-150 in Northeast Conference play, including 147-60 at Knott Arena and 109-90 on the road.
home sweet home... In its 26th season at Knott Arena, Mount St. Mary's has posted a 219-108 overall mark, including 74-46 in non-conference play and 144-62 in league play since moving across Route 15 from Memorial Gym.
in the month... Mount St. Mary's is 110-92 in the month of December in program history. The Mount is 55-26 at home, 43-49 on the road and 12-17 at a neutral site in the month.
• The Mountaineers are 56-82 in December since switching to Division I in 1988-89. The team is 27-22 at Knott Arena, 20-45 on the road and 9-15 at a neutral site.
• Under head coach Bryan Whitten, the Mount is 10-22 overall, 5-6 at home, 5-14 on the road and 0-1 at a neutral site in the month.
• Mount St. Mary's played its first-ever contest in program history in the month of December, falling to Loyola 60-31 on Dec. 4, 1974.
hearing your name called at the start... Head coach Bryan Whitten has only had 21 players start in his six-year tenure at the Mount.
• Senior Selina Mann has started 64 of the 90 games that she has played, but has been in the starting lineup for 62 of the last 63 games.
• Redshirt junior Sydney Henderson started 45 of the 62 games she has played.
• Junior Ashley Christie has started 55 of 58 games in her collegiate career.
• Junior Rachel Mathews has started 26 games in her career while fellow junior Jessie Kaufman has been in the starting lineup 25 times.
• Senior Tara Lonergan has started 20 games in her career.
• Junior Kayla Grossett has started eight games in her career and sophomore Jenn Carney earned her first career start against Maryland in the season opener on Nov. 9 and started the first three games this season.
• Redshirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer was the latest to join the starting lineup when she started against UMES on Dec. 5.
let's play to 60 points... Mount St. Mary's is most successful under head coach Bryan Whitten when it scores 60 points in a game or holds the opponent under that total.
• The Mount is 34-25 when it scores 60 points in a game, but 22-72 when it does not reach 60 points.
• Defensively, the Mountaineers are 41-31 when the opponents are held under 60 points and 14-66 when the opponent reaches 60 points.
three keys to whitten success... The Mount is most successful under head coach Bryan Whitten when the squad leads at halftime, in rebounding or keeps the opponent under 60 points.
• The Mount is 40-16 when he holds the lead at halftime, 4-3 when the game is tied, but just 12-78 when trailing at the break.
• The squad is 24-19 when it holds a rebounding edge in a game, but just 30-73 when the opponent has the advantage and 2-5 when the two teams have equal boards.
• Mount St. Mary's is 41-31 when it holds opponents under 60 points.
hitting 20 points in a game... Senior Selina Mann, redshirt junior Sydney Henderson and juniors Ashley Christie, Kayla Grossett and Jessie Kaufman have each recorded a 20-point game in their career.
• Henderson has four 20-point performances and a 30-point game in her career, including a career-high 30 points against Rider on Nov. 16, 2012. The redshirt junior has recorded 20 or more points twice this season.
• Kaufman has a pair of 20-point games in her career, including 24 points this season against Campbell on Nov. 19. She notched a career-high 25 against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 18, 2012.
• Mann has scored 20 points twice in her career, including 20 points against UMES on Dec. 5.
• Grossett registered a career-best 21 points against Quinnipiac on Jan. 30, 2012.
• Christie posted a career-high 21 points against Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 5, 2011.
• The Mount has registered 28 20-point performances and three 30-point games under head coach Bryan Whitten. The squad is 15-13 when a player reaches 20 points and 3-0 when a player scores 30 in a contest.
new to the mountain... Head coach Bryan Whitten added two players to his 2012-13 team. Freshmen Jody Chickey and Jayla Leftwich joined the team this season.
• In addition, after sitting out last season red shirt sophomore Jacqueline Brewer will be eligible to play this year. Brewer played at Virginia Commonwealth in 2010-11 as a freshman.
northeast conference history... Mount St. Mary's has made the Northeast Conference Tournament in 21 of the 23 years since the Mount joined the circuit.
• Mount St. Mary's is 17-18 in the NEC Tournament.
• The Mountaineers have not won a tournament game since a 50-45 win against Sacred Heart on Mar. 4, 2001.
• Mount St. Mary's won tournaments in 1992-93, 1993-94 and 1994-95, including earning the league's first two NCAA Division I bids.
the underlining whit... Head coach Bryan Whitten is in his sixth season at the Mount. The Mount is 56-97 overall under Whitten. He is 276-200 in 18 seasons at a head coach at King's College and the Mount.
• The Mount is 29-40 overall at Knott Arena and 21-25 in NEC play under Whitten.
• The Mountaineers on the road are 27-57 overall mark away from Emmitsburg and 14-30 in league play.
• Whitten picked up his first Mount win with a 55-51 decision at Lafayette on Nov. 17, 2007 and earned his 25th career in at Lafayette on Nov. 30, 2009.
• Whitten earned his 250th win of his career against Quinnipiac on Jan. 30, 2010.
foreign flavor... Mount St. Mary's has one international players on the roster in 2012-13.
• Junior Kayla Grossett (Canada) is the fifth international player at the Mount.
• Grossett follows Katie Walton (Canada, 1998-02), Dita Krumberga (Latvia, 2004-07), Leah Westbrooks (Ireland, 2007-11) and Sandra Andresson (Estonia, 2008-12).
new additions to the coaching staff... Head coach Bryan Whitten added Josh Keys and Brian Martin to his coaching staff for the 2012-13 season.
• Keys, a 2007 graduate of Liberty, comes to the Mount after spending one season at Stetson last season.
• Martin, a 1994 graduate of West Virginia, begins his first season as Director of Basketball Operations after serving as an assistant coach at Hood College last seaso