Jan 05, 2018
ABOUT THE MOUNT
- Mount St. Mary's continues Northeast Conference play with its NEC home opener on Saturday vs. Sacred Heart. The Mount and SHU split the series last season, with each team winning on its home court. In the meeting in Emmitsburg, the Mount pulled out a 61-59 victory behind 16 points from Alexis Carter, and 14 apiece from Caroline Hummell and Mikal Johnson.
- Mount St. Mary's opened Northeast Conference play with a pair of road victories at Central Connecticut and Bryant, and has now won five of its last seven games. The Mount enters Saturday's matchup on a three-game winning streak, which is the longest current streak in the league.
- Last time out, the Mountaineers posted a 68-63 victory at Bryant in a New Years Eve matchup to improve to 2-0 in NEC play. Katrice Dickson led the way with a career-high 17 points, while Juliette Lawless and Caroline Hummell also added double-figures.
- The Mountaineers shot 47.1 percent from the field in the contest at Bryant, marking the team's second-best shooting performance of the season. The Mount shot 52.0 percent in late November at Fairfield for the team's top mark in a game this year. Mount St. Mary's currently ranks among the top-four teams in the conference in scoring (65.1 ppg), free throw pct (.714), field goal pct (.407) and three-point pct (.351).
- Junior guard Juliette Lawless has registered double-digit points in six of the last eight contests. The Mountaineers are 4-2 this season and 7-3 in Lawless' career when she reaches double-figures.
- The Mount remains in Emmitsburg for a tilt against Fairleigh Dickinson on January 8, before heading up to New York for matchups at St. Francis Brooklyn and LIU Brooklyn the following weekend.
SCOUTING SACRED HEART
- Sacred Heart owns a 4-9 overall record and 0-2 mark in league play through the opening 13 games. The Pioneers dropped contests to Saint Francis U (89-48) and Robert Morris (91-57) on NEC opening weekend.
- Four Pioneers are averaging over 12 points per game, led by junior guard Erin Storck's 12.8 per contest. Redshirt junior forward Katherine Haines is averaging a double-double with 12.1 points and 10.6 rebounds a game.