Mount St. Mary’s Holds Off Fairleigh Dickinson for 55-52 Victory

Mount St. Mary’s Holds Off Fairleigh Dickinson for 55-52 Victory

Emmitsburg, Md. (January 8, 2018) – Mount St. Mary's held off Fairleigh Dickinson to come away with a 55-52 victory on Monday night in Northeast Conference play at Knott Arena. The win was the Mountaineers' fifth victory in the last seven contests, as they improved to 3-1 in league play.

Mount St. Mary's held a seven-point advantage early in the fourth quarter following a three-pointer from Daly Sullivan to open the period. The Knights erased the Mount's lead with an 11-1 run over the ensuing four minutes of play to take a 46-43 advantage. Natalie Zamora fueled the FDU rally with a pair of three-pointers during the stretch.

Jatarrikah Settle knocked down a jumper to end the Knights' rally, and Juliette Lawless followed with a traditional three-point play to put the Mount back on top, 48-46, with 4:51 showing on the clock. The Knights were able tie things back up with just over four minutes remaining, and after the two teams traded baskets on the next pair of possessions, the game remained deadlocked at 50-50 with just 2:52 remaining.

Caroline Hummell gave the Mount the advantage by hitting 1-of-2 from the line at the 2:26 mark, and the Mountaineer defense forced a pair of FDU turnovers on the next two possessions before Hummell answered again with a bucket in the paint to push the Mount lead to 53-50.

Comly converted a layup on the other end to cut the deficit to just one, and the Knights forced a miss by Agentowicz on the Mount's next possession as FDU got the ball back with under 40 seconds to play and a chance to take the lead.

After calling timeout, the Knights weren't able to get the ball inbounds as they were called for five seconds, handing the ball back to the Mount. FDU intentionally fouled Agentowicz to send her to the line, where she calmly sank both free throws to extend the Mountaineer lead to 55-52 with 27 seconds left.

Kamrin Weimer had a chance to the tie the contest from long range, but a tough contest from Katrice Dickson sent the shot wide off the glass. Comly was able to come down with the offensive board, but after dishing back to Weimer, her shot was blocked by Dickson in the final seconds, sending Mount St. Mary's on for the 55-52 win.

With the victory, the Mount improved to 6-9 overall and 3-1 in league play, while Fairleigh Dickinson dropped to 9-6 on the year and 1-3 in the NEC.

Lawless paced the Mount with 14 points to go along with seven rebounds and five assists, as the junior registered her eight double-digit scoring performance in the last 10 contests. Lawless went 4-for-11 in the tilt, including a 3-for-5 mark from downtown. Agentowicz tallied 13 points and six rebounds, and rookie Rebecca Lee contributed a career-high 12 rebounds and four blocks off the bench.

For the Knights, Amina Markovic was the lone player to reach double-figures, finishing with 15 points to go with eight rebounds. Comly chipped in with nine points and three boards in the tilt.

The Mountaineers shot 34.5 percent from the field and 26.7 percent from beyond the arc, compared to a 36.0 percent shooting night for FDU and a 30.0 percent mark from deep. The Mount defense forced 20 FDU turnovers in the contest.

After a low scoring first quarter of play that saw Fairleigh Dickinson take a 13-10 lead, the Mountaineer defense took over in the second, holding the Knights to just five points on 1-of-12 shooting in the frame. Lee played a pivotal role on the defensive end for the Mount, tallying four blocks and six rebounds in the second period.

The Mount retook the lead in the opening minutes of the second quarter following a traditional three-point play from Agentowicz at the 8:02 mark. The Mountaineers followed with 10 of the game's next 12 points, including back-to-back makes from beyond the arc for Agentowicz, to push the advantage to 24-15.

FDU, which registered just two points in the opening seven-plus minutes of the period, closed the quarter with the final three points to narrow the gap to 24-18 heading into the halftime break.

The Mount shot 32.1 percent from the field as a team in the first half and 33.3 from three-point range, while FDU posted just a 24.0 percent mark from the floor and shot 25.0 percent from long range.

The Mount returns to action on January 13 at St. Francis Brooklyn. Opening tip is set for 1 p.m.