Women’s Lacrosse Extends Win Streak to Six Straight with 15-8 Victory Over Saint Francis U in NEC Opener

Women’s Lacrosse Extends Win Streak to Six Straight with 15-8 Victory Over Saint Francis U in NEC Opener

Loretto, Pa. (April 5, 2019) – The Mount St. Mary's women's lacrosse team topped Saint Francis U 15-8 on Friday afternoon in the Northeast Conference (NEC) opener at DeGol Field. The win pushed the Mount's record to 9-2 overall, which marks the best start to a season in program history. The current six-game win streak for the Mountaineers is the longest since the 2007 campaign when they won seven straight.

Jordan Butler led Mount St. Mary's (9-2, 1-0 NEC) with four goals as she tallied her fifth straight game with three or more scores. Emily Davis did it all in the contest, registering three goals, a game-high six ground balls, and five draw controls. Jordan Groover notched three goals and six draws, and Alayna Pagnotta (2g, 1a) and Zoe Hurlburt (1g, 2a) rounded out the team's multi-point scorers.

Senior goalie Jillian Petito, who entered the contest ranked third in the nation in save percentage and fourth in goals against average, recorded 13 saves in the win, which marked her second-highest total in a game this season.

For Saint Francis U (3-6, 0-1 NEC), Emileigh Scott tallied a game-high six points on five goals and one helper, while Livia Baker added two points on a goal and one assist.

Ashley Stoessel made 12 saves in the cage for the Red Flash.  

Mount St. Mary's came out firing early, scoring six goals in the opening 10:28 of play to jump out to a 6-0 lead. Butler and Pagnotta scored two goals apiece during the stretch, and Groover and Hurlburt tallied the other goals.

Scott put an end to the Mount's run at the 18:32 mark with SFU's first goal of the contest. Hurlburt countered with her second goal minutes later to stretch the Mount advantage to 7-1, but Saint Francis U answered with back-to-back scores from Baker and Amanda Heidt to cut it to a 7-3 game.

Davis scored on a free-position attempt with 3:48 on the clock to end a 12-plus minute scoreless stretch by the Mountaineers and push the lead to 8-3. The Red Flash were able to close out the half with the final two goals, both coming from Scott, to trim the deficit to 8-5 heading into the break.

Butler and SFU's Autumn McHenry traded goals to open the second half before both teams went scoreless until the midway mark of the frame. Carly Miller broke up the drought with an unassisted tally to make it a four-goal Mount St. Mary's advantage. The Mountaineers followed with three more goals in a span of just over two minutes, including a pair from Davis, to stretch the lead to 13-6 with 10:24 remaining.

Scott netted back-to-back scores to bring the Red Flash within five, 13-8, with 7:20 remaining in the contest, but the Mount held them off the board for the remainder of the game while adding a pair of insurance goals to close out the 15-8 victory.

Mount St. Mary's outshot SFU 38-25 in the contest and held a 15-10 advantage on draw controls.

The Mount continues league play with a home game against Robert Morris on Sunday, April 7 at 12 p.m.